Need a last minute idea for something for Valentine’s Day? Don’t want to do candy?
Lotion bars are a great idea for winter-chapped skin!
A lotion bar is solid bar made up of waxes and oils. When you rub it on your skin, it becomes soft, and releases the oils onto your skin and leaves them there to moisturize.
The recipe that I like for lotion bars is:
1 Part – Wax (Cosmetic grade/ safe for skin)
1 Part – Hard Oil (Oil that is solid at room temperature: Coconut oil, Shea Butter, Coco Butter, etc.)
1 Part – Oil (That is liquid at room temperature)
2oz Unprocessed beeswax
1oz Coconut Oil (Hard oil)
1oz Shea Butter (Hard oil)
1oz Olive Oil
1oz Jojoba Oil
Pot for bottom of double boiler
Heatsafe bowl for top of double boiler
(I also used a Pyrex measuring cup to go inside the heatsafe bowl to make pouring easier)
Spoon/ something to stir with
Molds from which you will easily be able to pop out the bars (silicone works great for this)
1. Measure and prepare all your ingredients (I use our kitchen scale that I cover with wax paper.)
*Note: It’s a pain, but if you don’t have pellet wax, shredding your beeswax -or chopping it finely – will make the next step go much faster.
2. Prepare a double boiler (Fill a pot with water, then place a *heatsafe* bowl over the top in which you melt your ingredients – be careful not to let your pot run out of water, it could scorch.)
3. Melt the beeswax through the double boiler (Remember the bigger the chunks of wax, the longer they will take to melt!)
4. Once the wax has melted, add the oils to the wax.
5. Once everything has melted, pour the mixture into your molds/ ice cube trays/ cupcake tins. (I used silicone cupcake cups and ice cube trays from Ikea, but I’ve seen ice cube trays at all sorts of places, including the dollar store.)
6. Let them cool!
I was trying to figure out a way to wrap/ display the lotion bars, so I created this printable using Avery Template 8386 (I found mine at Staples, but you can also get them through Amazon. Not an affiliate link.) in Microsoft Word.
Then I put the lotion bars into little plastic bags that I found at Jo-Ann’s (Always look for a coupon! You can almost always find a 40% off coupon for regular priced purchases.), and stapled the plastic bag to the printable.
If you end up making bars with your own recipe, make sure to change it on your card (having a child with severe food allergies has made me aware of how important this information can be!). I’ve left the “From” and recipient’s name blank, so you can add your own! If you wanted, you could even hand-write them in.
I hope you enjoy! Let me know if you have any questions or end up making these!